Monday, April 2, 2012

SoulOfPoetry Interview from my Tumblr Page

                                                                 

I had always wanted locs since I was young. My favorite artist, India Arie, was my true inspiration. Growing up I had so many complexities about my skin tone. I use to hate how dark I was because people treated me differently from my sister. I remember one night I told my mother and she told me something I’ll never forget ”You are beautiful! You are loved, in every way that you are. You are blessed to have beautiful skin.” When I accepted that, I began to truly embrace my heritage, my culture, and I wanted to go natural because that’s who I am. I didn’t want to be ashamed any longer.

Though my family didn't support my natural hair journey (this was before it became a fad) I grew so much from it because I didn’t have support. I wouldn’t trade my locs in for the world. Just loving the skin I’m in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Why The Modern-Day Woman Is Ill and/or Angry

I COME TO PROCLAIM THE GREATNESS AND BUEATY OF WOMEN AND WOMANHOOD Are you a victim of Eve Syndrome? Never heard of this before huh? There i...