Saturday, April 14, 2012

LINDA: More than a dragon slayer interview

                                                        
Linda is 25, a Haitian American, College Student, Lover, Daughter, Friend, Retired Poet, Music Lover, Sports Lover, all great things. But, after you read about this one day in her life, I want you to remember these words as her final words and to believe them as much as she does, and as much as I do: “It was a rather emotional experience, but I did not allow any tears to fall. I did not want to feel defeated. I used it as motivation to make sure I finish school and accomplish my goals. Most importantly, to make sure I own my own company and become my own boss.”
NOW BACK TO THE HAIR JOURNEY.
I am hurt….
I went to an interview today for a supervisor position at a hotel. I won’t name the well-known corporation but at least everyone has stayed at one of their properties. The interview went well. I met with HR, a manager, and the Director of F&B. They wanted me to meet with the Manager of the hotel but he stepped out. So, I waited for a few minutes and then they hit me with this: 
We are interested in offering you the position. We all agreed you would be a great asset to our organization. BUT before we move further we wanted to read to you our policy and procedures. We don’t allow cornrows as per policy. *touches my locs.*  Oh, and dreadlocks. So, is there a possibility that you cannot have them anymore in order for us to move forward????
I have never, EVER dealt with something like that. Then, it brought me back to conversations I have had with some friends about looking the part in order to get certain jobs. I looked around the lobby and saw blond hair and blue eyes all around. I saw a few “dark faces” but they all had their permed hair pulled back in buns. This is not happening right now. I was praised for my degrees and experience but knocked all the way back down because of my locs.

My response:
This has been an ongoing spiritual process for 6 years. I don’t see myself cutting them anytime soon. I am grateful for the offer but I don’t believe we will be able to move forward. I never expected my hair to be such a setback nor trump my experience and qualifications. Thank you for the opportunity and taking the time out to see me. Have a great day.
I
am hurt and am not sure how to react right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Why The Modern-Day Woman Is Ill and/or Angry

I COME TO PROCLAIM THE GREATNESS AND BUEATY OF WOMEN AND WOMANHOOD Are you a victim of Eve Syndrome? Never heard of this before huh? There i...