Sunday, April 22, 2012

Danielle Salloum's Interview

Here is another great interview from another loc wearer. People who choose to wear locs come from many backgrounds and from many countries. I have had much success in receiving interviews from fellow loc wearers from London; where Danielle lives.
 
No matter the country or ethnic group, certain myths and misconceptions seem to follow this particular hairstyle choice. Danielle is open and honest in this interview and her words are not new for those who have decided to loc their hair. Enjoy. And thanks to Danielle for sharing with us.
 
Name: Danielle Salloum
Age: 23
I started the loc process a year and 2 months ago from doing this interview (April 2012).
 
1. What was the initial reaction/response of family/friends/ co-workers to your hair style choice?
 
I started my loc process when I was at university (Feb 2011) My family pretty much accepted me (even though my siblings don't really like locs) since I've been talking about locs with my mum since I was 14, I'm 23 now.
 
I don't think it was very shocking for people to see my loc journey as I had an alternative style already.
 
2. Are you in a career that is friendly to your hair style choice?
 
I'm a Direct Recruiter for a Fundraising Company and you can look however you like at my work place.
 
I'm also doing work experience with a fashion milliner.
 
3. Did you notice a boost in confidence or other personal changes once you decided to wear dreadlocks?
 
I've always felt confident about looking the way I want to.
 
4. What do you like or dislike about dreadlocks?
 
I don't like the fact that my hair got much shorter as I allowed it to loc.
I like the fact I no longer brush my hair, because I hated doing that and it's one of the main reasons I decided to loc.
 
Having locs has really helped me to control my hair pulling compulsion (trichotillomania) and I actually recommend having locs as an alternative form of therapy for trich.
 
5. What state are you from and is there a large population of dread wearers there?
 
I'm from London and yes there are alot of dread wearers. In certain areas of London there are also large Rasta communities.
 
Despite that though, there are still many people who are clueless about dreads and tell me that I stopped washing my hair in order to get locs. Of course I didn't stop washing my hair in order to get locs and when I correct them they seem a bit surprised.
 
6. Do you believe dreadlocks adds to the masculinity of the black male or does it box him in to more stereotypes?
 
I'm a radical feminist and I am kind of against the concepts of masculinity and femininity. I think locs are a beauitful hairstyle for both men and woman.
 
I don't think locs should be in any way negative for a black man, but I do believe ignorant people stereotype black men and women with locs.
 
7. When did you decided to go natural/dreadlock?
 
I decided when I was 14. I did it at the age of 22 (Feb 2011) due to having adult freedom.
 
8. Do you view wearing dreadlocks as a larger tie to the African American culture?
 
Yes, due to white supremacy I think having dreadlocks for people of African decent is much more personal, as their hair is viewed as "ugly" and "needed to be straightened." I think African hair makes the most beautiful locs as it knotts faster.
 
I am mixed race (West African, Arab, White, South Asian). I would say I have Indian type hair and some people would make fun of my hair being bushy when I was in high school.
 
A complete stranger made fun of me calling me Hermione from Harry Potter. I know people with African hair get it so much worse, so I think it's so much more important when they go natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Why The Modern-Day Woman Is Ill and/or Angry

I COME TO PROCLAIM THE GREATNESS AND BUEATY OF WOMEN AND WOMANHOOD Are you a victim of Eve Syndrome? Never heard of this before huh? There i...