Thursday, August 7, 2014

Khadija Interview: South Carolina Beginner Dreads




ARE YOU AFRAID TO BEGIN YOUR LOC JOURNEY? Don't be. Beginning your dreads can be the beginning of finding yourself as this interview with Khadija will clearly make you see.


My name is Khadija, and I’m from South Carolina. I am one month in on my loc journey. I’m twenty years old, and for years I’ve wanted dreads. Being a biracial women I’ve always dealt with negativity from others when it came to my thick natural hair.

A year and a half ago I finally gave up chemical relaxers, and went natural. Starting my dreads is the the best choice I’ve made when it comes to my hair. Everyday my locs lay a different way which is teaching me to be happy with what I have.

Before starting my locs I would hear people complain about the “ugly phase”, or how they hated their young locs being fuzzy. Now that I'm going through my journey I can honestly say I love all these phases others complain about. I like when a dread sticks up, or is extra fuzzy some days. I have shrinkage galore, fuzzy stray hairs everywhere, and untamed locs sticking up.

Watching my babies grow is helping me accept myself, and to not care what others think.

 I started my locs myself. I retwist about once a month minimum, but when I do I'm the one to do it. I treat my locs like plants. I started them, and I will care for them continuously.

Thank you Khadija for sharing your story with us. I am sure your lovely locs will be the inspiration one of the many readers need to start their own self discovery and beginner dreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Why The Modern-Day Woman Is Ill and/or Angry

I COME TO PROCLAIM THE GREATNESS AND BUEATY OF WOMEN AND WOMANHOOD Are you a victim of Eve Syndrome? Never heard of this before huh? There i...