Tuesday, August 12, 2014

I KNOW IT CAN BE SCARY - A WORD FROM THE AUTHOR

Set the stage. A strange woman asking for your picture for a dreadlock project. What in the devil is going on? Well, in her mind it is just as she says, letting the people speak. How can the people speak? By going to various places where the people are and tumblr.com is just one of the many places the people this author is looking for.

To understand dreadlocks the writer could do research and find papers written by people who may or may not have worn locs. In, my initial research that is exactly what I found. The miniscule amount written about this particular hairstyle; dare I say life style, was written by people who never even wore an afro. With that in mind, I hit the streets to talk to people who experienced dreadlocks and I tell you if you wear locs you are in good company. I think I have fallen in love with the hairstyle AND the people who wear locs. To say they have a sense of self is an understatement. Loc wearers possess spirit. A spirit calling them back to a time of royalty and harmony. To a time when warriors proved their manhood and women watched with eyes of admiration and inward strength.

Well, I don't want to romanticize this particular way of wearing hair and I don't have to. There is a sexual allure that goes hand in hand with this particular hair style. Just when you think you have seen the fiercest hairstyle - BAM in walks a drink of water for your thirsty eyes.

I must say, learning the history and imagined or not imagined power of dreadlocks has been a mystical journey for me. For all participating in this loc journey I say thank you and know you are a part of something people envy: your hair, your spirit. I could not have imagined four years ago when this idea came to me I would be just as enthralled as I was on day one. I continue to be mesmerized by my fellow loc wearers and prideful to be part of such a community.

I added my pictures to be in solidarity with all of you who have allowed me to be a part of your loc life. The world, once the book is published, will be in awe of your nappy natural tresses. No longer having to wonder about the heritage of this hairstyle, but up close participants of a lineage of warriors who prepared themselves for battle. Some feel we are in battle daily right now with all of the strife in the world. I don't know. That may be the impetus for the resurgence of the hair style. But one thing I do know; We are beautiful and in all shapes, stages, races, and journeys, but we are all beautiful.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Why The Modern-Day Woman Is Ill and/or Angry

I COME TO PROCLAIM THE GREATNESS AND BUEATY OF WOMEN AND WOMANHOOD Are you a victim of Eve Syndrome? Never heard of this before huh? There i...