Saturday, August 16, 2014

An Interview With Kenetra Hinkins

To say I love this picture and loc journey would be an understatement. In this interview you will read another story of change. People fear change and doing locs is a MAJOR change, but always worth it to the wearer. This story and the dozens just like it is the reason I am doing this project. I am a loc wearer and seeing the pictures and reading the stories always make me smile. I am actually grateful for meeting all the different loc wearers. I feel like I belong to something. Hopefully, this project when it is completed, will give all of those who participated just as much joy as the locs do.

Now here is another of our beautiful ladies in locs: 

Hello,

I came into contact with you on Tumblr and when I read about this book I knew I had to contribute! My name is Kenetra Nadina Hinkins,19, and I'm from Massachusetts.
 
I started my hair journey about a year ago at the beginning of my freshman year of college. The reason behind my locs is I was in a place of discovering who I was and I made a lot of changes, my hair being the first thing. I have strong West African roots (Cape Verde) and my natural hair is very curly but from relaxers and straightening constantly, I ruined my hair. My family is full of dreadheads and they tried to get me to loc my hair but I didn't think it would look right. So at first I just stopped straightening my hair then my roommate, who has locs, convinced me to try faux locs, I tried them and fell in love. Ever since then, I've been a dreadhead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Why The Modern-Day Woman Is Ill and/or Angry

I COME TO PROCLAIM THE GREATNESS AND BUEATY OF WOMEN AND WOMANHOOD Are you a victim of Eve Syndrome? Never heard of this before huh? There i...