Friday, February 16, 2024

Roses on my Mind

 

This post was originally done in 2010 . It is amazing to know the cost of roses has almost tripled!

I have always had a love of roses and for the color purple. At this very time, I am prunning my roses which have already started to bud. To say I'm all scratched up is an understatement. The one thing which has changed since I made this post is that I live in a new place. I transplanted many plants, including roses from my country home garden to my new city garden which is two years old now.

Each winter I question why I continue to garden but as soon as the first signs of spring begin, I am on pins for my plants to come alive. I guess gardening is in the blood. It never dies. My favorite plant is roses but in my neck of the woods, it is humid which is the enemy of roses. Even if I buy blackspot resistant roses, the disease still shows up dropping the leaves of the roses. Will I ever stop planting roses? Never. I believe I have about 250 roses as of now and that total is sure to increase as I find (make) space for more roses.

One impediment to my love of gardening is my husband and children. Even my adult childrenwho no longer live at home made me promise wen we bought our new home to limit my DESTRUCTION of expansive yard to make flower beds. I did promise, but everyone knew I would be unable to keep my promise. I am willing to be labled a liar instead of not CREATING magic with flowers in my yard. They did not hesitate to LABEL me a liar. More plants. Don't care.

Anyway, my fellow gardeners understand the overwhelming feeling that comes over gardeners in the spring time. Only gardeners can relate. It's like the saying "Unleash the Kraken" when we know it is time to start the gardening season again. We can't and won't be held back. My book, Diary of a Wannabe Gardener, sums up the inner workings of a gardener's mind as the book journals the daily life of a gardener. She is always trying to create the PERFECT garden which gardeners will tell you there is no such thing, but every garden is PERFECT. So enjoy this section of post which was written years ago but still rings true for me.

Rhapsody in Blue shrub rose
Ebb Tide floribunda rose

On this first day of the new year 2010, my mind is on my flower garden and my love; the rose. Today I ordered the above pictured roses from Regan Nursery each costing $20.00. I have struggled to grow healthy plants protected from nut grass, I must say with failure. I never give up because that first spring flush of flowers is absolutely divine.

I am thinking about giving up my garden to neglect due to the fact that it is over run by large earthworms. I have a real fear of worms. My husband has been a doll for years hanging out in the garden with me as I scream and flee from the disturbed wriggling creature. It is ironic that the more worms in the soil the healthier it is. I don't know what I am going to do because I am a jittery mess when it comes time to plant a new choice plant I have fallen in love with at one of the numerous garden centers I visit.

I have a section of garden dedicated to the illusive purple color. I have a niece who is fond of the color purple so that section of my garden is named after her.

2009 saw my garden attacked by an evasive armidillo. He dug and dug uprooting many of my asiatic lilies in search of grubs. The deer pulled up pansies and snapdragons in late winter. And this fall they are eating bushes and everything else their hearts desire. I have a host of birds feeding on seeds. I am surrounded by nature and I find it fascinating each day.

Check out some of my ealiest posts which are pictures of my garden. I look forward to the flower catalogs arriving. I check the mail daily. I hope to post some pics from my 2024 garden.

Enjoy nature, enjoy life. Remember to purchase my book, Diary of a Wannabe Gardener, available on amazon.com and please like, share, comment and follow me on all social media sites.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Why The Modern-Day Woman Is Ill and/or Angry

I COME TO PROCLAIM THE GREATNESS AND BUEATY OF WOMEN AND WOMANHOOD Are you a victim of Eve Syndrome? Never heard of this before huh? There i...