Sunday, May 20, 2012

i kinda feel like a prostitute for this job. . .

This is a great story many loc wearers can relate to. I have asked the question: "Do you like it when people just reach and touch or grab your locs?" I have received many responses, but this story really goes to the core of the question and I am so pleased that iaminkwellj from tumblr.com gave me permission to share this with you all here and in my book. So enjoy.

i kinda feel like a prostitute for this job. . .
aight, so my temp job is cool right. I can text, listen to my ipod, wear whatever I want, including my Angela (my locs).
today…my boss felt inclined to do several things that made me uncomfortable:
1.I’m certain I heard her having phone sex…no, really.
2.she “just had to” play in my hair…
Basically, my back was turned to her, I had one earbud in, and was facing my computer screen…I heard her voice getting really high pitched as she said, “I know we’ve only just met, but I just love your hair.” *begins caressing Angela*
Now, initially, I feel UTTERLY UNCOMFORTABLE! I kinda don’t like when people I don’t know play in my hair, wait, no, scratch that, I DON’T LIKE WHEN PEOPLE I DON’T KNOW PLAY IN MY HAIR WITHOUT PERMISSION! I’d just like…a heads up? ehh.
but then when she walked up behind me, I really didn’t mind because, for some things, I’m still in training and she helps me out and shit. But I really didn’t expect her to touch my hair…then she asked some questions that many people will, “do you wash it?” “how does it stay like that?” yada yada yada…
but when she walked away…i felt like a slut. because I need this job, like, I NEED the money for myself and to help out my family and such, so…I kinda just…went back to work…but I can’t lie, I felt bad. like I let my whole culture down! lol. ehh…
Permission given 05/20/12
Absolutely! Feel free! It’s crazy because i”m a college graduate, and it’s the first job (though, temp) that has welcomed my hair. so I felt like I couldn’t say or do anything because I needed the job, and I needed the money…ehhhh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Why The Modern-Day Woman Is Ill and/or Angry

I COME TO PROCLAIM THE GREATNESS AND BUEATY OF WOMEN AND WOMANHOOD Are you a victim of Eve Syndrome? Never heard of this before huh? There i...