Monday, February 13, 2012

Freedom of Speech is freedom of hair


I can't help but notice how many people are wearing dreadlocks. Wherever I go there is a ponytail of golden tipped dreads brushing the collar of a shirt or some twisted up doo held in perfect position by a few well placed bobby pins. Then there are those luscious mohawk dreadlock swaying with each step.

I think back to the early days when we were told to have a perm and then to wear weaves. Through chemicals or purchased tresses we could have straight hair gracing the creases of our buttocks. We could have 'good' hair. This was the final frontier of assimilation.

Assimilation is a word I have never quite liked. The definition of assimilation is to absorb into a cultural tradition. The Native Americans tried to assimilate by cutting their ponytails and wearing the more acceptable European haircuts and then African Americans began using caustic lye products trying to straighten out the natural kink or coil of their own hair. But, the word assimilate went further into more negative connotations of speech and dating practices. So I never liked the word assimilation being used too freely.

So if assimilation is not the reason for the upswing in dreadlocks gracing the heads of so many people; then what is the answer? Well, for me it was Freedom of Speech. I made friends with my kinky hair and then fell in love with it. During this process, I began getting more compliments and even engaged in conversation as to why I wear my hair in such a way, how do I take care of it, and do I believe they will be successful if they go for it.

After observations and conversations I wanted to write a book about the history of the hairstyle and what was being said or not said about wearing dreadlocks. Is there an upswing in black pride, a political awakening, or is it just a voice saying I am who I am and proud to be so. Is there a story behind DREADLOCKS?

So, I turn to you my friends and ask you to tell this story in my book Don't Dread Dreads: The People Speak.

I have been amazed and inspired by some of the stories I have been told thus far. And to say there are some beautiful dread wearers is an understatement. So help me get the word out. Stop by and join my facebook page http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dreadlocks-picturesinterviews-needed-for-a-book/168731756574119?sk=wall  to engage in some more interesting dialogue. contact me at anytime if you have a question, comment or suggestion at rizerfall@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Why The Modern-Day Woman Is Ill and/or Angry

I COME TO PROCLAIM THE GREATNESS AND BUEATY OF WOMEN AND WOMANHOOD Are you a victim of Eve Syndrome? Never heard of this before huh? There i...