Friday, April 21, 2023

Can't Choose A Favorite Child? Choose A Favorite Plant

     

    One thing that is universally known almost without being said is, "Don't ask parents if they have a favorite child." The children may go back and forth in jest about being the favorite child, but parent's mouths are sealed when it comes to answering this question. They have become diplomatic, politician like when they do give a response to this question, "I love all of my children equally. There is not a favorite one. They are all my favorite."

    When you ask a gardener, "What is your favorite plant?" Most are ready and willing to tell you which plant they favor and why. But, you do run into the gardener who will say, "It's hard to decided. I love them all."   

    Just as with our children, flowers have their OUTSTANDING points and their TERRIBLE drawbacks. Take the rose for example, and yes, I chose it first because it is my favorite flower/plant. Roses have a wide range of colors, diferent types of flower petals, different fragrances, and different growth habits. They are a real show stopper when in bloom. It is hard for anyone to pass a rose without stopping to smell it or admire it. But we all know the number one drawback of roses: the THORNS.

    I can't tell you the countless times I have been ashamed handing a cashier money at a grocery store or department store when I extended my scratched hand, wrist, and arm. Sometimes I look as though I have been in a cat fight after planting, weeding, or pruning my roses. I almost feel an uncontrollable urge to explain all of the scratches I have acquired, but instead, I just kind of tuck my head and quickly exit. All rose growers look like they own a cat whether they do or don't. I don't. 


    Then of course the rose bush is susceptable to insect infestation and diseases. Aphids and blackspot are the rose gardener's nightmare. Careful watch has to be maintained to nip the problem in the bud early. So even the most precious beloved beautiful flower/plant, has reasons for it not to be loved. And there ARE many gardeners who just don't want this problem child.

    Another plant which people buy in mass is the petunia. Now I LIKE petunias but I don't love them. Settle down petunia lovers. I mean no harm. Why, you may ask? Because they require water daily, and sometimes several waterings when the weather becomes really hot in the summer. If you want continuous blooms, then deadheading is required. Deadheading is when you cut off the part where a blossom had died allowing for new buds and blooms to form. In spring and early summer you will see me humming around my plants deadheading with happiness. But soon as the thermomenter hits 90, I'm out of there leaving my plant to become scraggly and with fewer blooms.

    Dahlias are a winner. When I see this stately flower/plant in people's gardens I always wish I had planted some or more. They can grow over 5 feet tall and have flowers as big as your hand. The variety is limitless and the colors you can select are immense. But, they are tubers and have to be dug up each fall in Northern states because they cannot survive the winter's cold and freezing temperatures. Because of their height, they require staking so they will not fall over. I AIN'T GOT TIME FOR THAT! But, boy are they worth taking the time to stake.

Dahlias have other drawbacks such as stem rot (stems rot when dahlias are growing in heavy, poorly drained, wet soil), mosaic virus (drarfs plants and distorts leaves. You must destroy the plant because there is no cure), and botrytis ( covers the plant with powdery gray mold). Pests include aphids, thrips, mites, and leafhoppers. Insects enjoy the plant as much as the gardener does or more so. Slugs, snails, and cutworms enjoy feasting on this plant too.

    Some gardeners even get offended if you suggest you can't stand their favorite plant. They go into defense and protection mode in the same way as when defending their child. 

    While it is considered HORRIBLE for a parent to say they have a favorite child, it is okay and excepted that a gardener would have a faovrite flower/plant. Through the years they may switch from one plant to the next as a favorite. This is actually, in my proffessional view and experience, how the many and various garden beds are created in a garden.

    A gardener will CREATE a completely new bed with the right conditions for a plant they have fallen in love with. Adding the right soil, adding irrigation where there was no naturally occurring water, planting trees to create a shade area, or removing trees to create a sun baked location for sun loving plants. Nothing is too much or to difficult to achieve for our little darlings. We are willing to spoil and pamper them.

    What a minute! I almost forgot the fun part of gardening. If a plant you love is just misbehaving, can't be satisfied no matter what you do. Has been moved to different locations in the garden in an effort to get it to thrive and just won't live up to your expectations - you can THROW IT AWAY. Yeah!!

    You can't throw children away if they don't please you. You have to keep them and do the best you can and still love them. I know there is no one reading this that wishes they could just get rid of a less than perfect child, right?

    Having a favorite flower/plant, flaws and all is fun, but don't shut out maybe experiencing a new and different type of flower/plant. I read all of the time gardeners saying they were intimidated by my fave, the rose, until they planted their first one and realized how wondeful and beautiful they are. They were surprised that they could keep them alive easier than they had believed. Never say NEVER to a flower/plant. Don't get upset if your favorite isn't someone elses favorite. Just like our children have individual qualities that make us love them dearly, so do plants.

    I would love to know which flower/plant is your favorite and why. Leave me a comment here or on my Facebook page: Black People Garden Too in Mississippi (9) Black People Garden Too in Mississippi | Facebook as always follow me here and on Facebook. Twiiter Dorothy Guyton (@ndefenseofwomen) / Twitter Instagram Dorothy Guyton (@gift_of_god_2) | Instagram 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Why The Modern-Day Woman Is Ill and/or Angry

I COME TO PROCLAIM THE GREATNESS AND BUEATY OF WOMEN AND WOMANHOOD Are you a victim of Eve Syndrome? Never heard of this before huh? There i...