Friday, April 14, 2023

Flower Show, The Garden Club of Jackson

     What can be better on a rainy dreary day than a Flower Show.

The Garden Club of Jackson hosted a flower show in Jackson, Mississippi at the Westin Hotel in downtown Jackson. Though it was raining, the flowers were shining. Guests were greeted by friendly smiling faces and creative exhibits to enjoy before entering the main area where floral displays were judged and awarded ribbons and certificates.

There were several categories of compitition but I was so busy being entralled with the flowers that I didn't even look at the catorgories or who actually won because they were all winners to me.
There were elaborate displays where I tried to figure out the name of the plants used. Which I could not. To simple bouquets of daffodils we all know and take for granted that made you just stop and stare.
I've always considered myself quite the romantic and the table scapes had me fighting back reaching out and touchibg them. I'm naughty by nature and it was difficult not to touch the tiny cake displayed to see if it was real.
I spent a wonderful hour surrounded by plant enthusiasts enjoying the beauty of nature. everyone was just in awe of the participants talent and green thumb. I met one of the members of the club and listened to all of the hard work that went into preparing for this event. Their work and attention to detail was evident and appreciated by all of the telling smiles of visitors.
If you ever have a chance to go to a Flower show, do it. It is an escape from all of the stress and pressures of daily life for a moment that may turn into an hour like it did for me. You will meet delightful friendly people amonst the flowers and plants and make a few connections as I did. I was told where a not too well known but glorious display of climbing roses is located and to bring my clippers and to wear long sleeves. If you know, you know (wink. wink).
Being a Garden Blogger is made easy when there are events to attend, gardens to visit, and gardeners willing to share their tips and gardening stories. It is a joy I hope I am relating to you in words and in pictures. Many people do not belive they can be a gardener, but a gardener will tell you, all you need is to love plants.
We all start with a somewhat brown thumb. In gardening you will have successes and you will have losses but through it all you gain happiness and experience.
All gardens have a beginning and the beginning is not where your garden ends. It grows and grows with time and before you know it, you have no more room for another plant. And in that magical place that has become a garden, you too will by chance or design have an award worthy, leaf, stem, flower, plant, or even a tree. It's up to you whether you are brave enough to take the chance and enter it into a Flower Show or your County Fair. I did once. I never thought about winning because it took all of my energy to muster up the courage to just enter the Attala County Fair. I was just consumed with doing that FIRST step. To my surprise I had several second and third place ribbons. The experience was electrifying. 
Sometimes in life, in so many areas, we consider what we do as less than or of no value when to others it is extraordinary. I have gardened over 20 years and have never considered my flower garden as beautiful as other people's gardens. But everytime a new person would pass by my garden they would tell me how beautiful it was.

So it's Spring time and gardeners thoughts are on adding those new plants they have always wanted to their garden. New gardeners are nervously eyeing the plants in the Garden Centers. And after experiencing this Flower Show, I say just go for it. Get your first plant or that plant you have been dying to have. Don't let people talk you out of buying it. THEY ARE NOT YOUR PEOPLE! Your people delight in the entire process of growing flowers and the best part is showing them off.

I am available for Garden Presentations in Mississippi
Contact me on my Facebook page: Black People Garden Too in Mississippi
or leave me a comment here and I will get back to you.

You can purchase my book: "Diary Of A Wannabe Gardener" on amazon.com




















 








No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Why The Modern-Day Woman Is Ill and/or Angry

I COME TO PROCLAIM THE GREATNESS AND BUEATY OF WOMEN AND WOMANHOOD Are you a victim of Eve Syndrome? Never heard of this before huh? There i...