Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Catherine Rock Shows us her London Locs

 I find it fascinating how you can recognize strength in a person just from their words and pictures. This interview tells us and shows us a lot about people who choose to wear DreadLocks. In this interview there is an unmistakable sense you are in the presence of someone who knows their value; their worth. 

Catherine ended her e-mail to me with a sentence: "If I dont go within I go without" Just as in viewing a painting hung in an art gallery; this sentence can be left to interpretation by the viewer/reader. Completely subjective. But after viewing her pictures she has shared with us along with her interview, I'm sure you will come to understand what she meant by "If I dont go within I go without"

Many thanks to Catherine for letting us into her life and her mind as a person who wears Dreadlocks 



The beginning of Catherine Rock's Dreadlock journey 
  What was the initial reaction/response of family/friends/ co-workers to your hair style choice?
My family was dead set against it and my Dad threathened to stop speaking to me.  He was concerned about the negative perceptions surrounding the hair style and felt it represented rebellion

   Are you in a career that is friendly to your hair style choice?
I work for the government and they promote diversity so I have never had any issues with my hair style.

 Did you notice a boost in confidence or other personal changes once you decided to wear dreadlocks? 
I have always preferred natural looking hairstyle like braids or cane rows so locs were a natural progression.  I cant say it has made me any more confident than I have always been.  I do feel more regal. J

      What do you like or dislike about dreadlocks? 
As my locs are currently waist length. The longer they are the harder it is for me to wash and dry completely at home
Curly look

    What state are you from and is there a large population of dread wearers there?
I live in London and there are increasing numbers of people embracing natural hairstyles especially locs.
    Do you believe dreadlocks add to the masculinity of the black male or does it box him in to more stereotypes?
I do believe men with locs are stereotyped more so than women however it depends on how neatly they wear their locs

    When did you decided to go natural/dreadlock?
    I debated going natural from 1993 and experimented with various natural styles from 1995 before locing my hair in 2007.
Mohawk

     Do you view wearing dreadlocks as a larger tie to the African American culture?  NO
Tribute to India

    Is there a generational gap of misunderstanding about the political component associated with the dread wearers of Jamaica? 
Definitely.  I think the more recent loc wearers are more concerned with having a more natural hairstyle which complements their heritage and is kinder to their hair than the politicalisation of natural in the 60s and 70s.

  Does it concern you how other ethnic groups view young black men wearing dreadlocks?
Sometimes but it is all about education

  Are Dreadlocks just another hairstyle or is there a certain responsibility or honor that comes with wearing dreadlocks.
I think intrinsically wearing loc makes me act more regally and think more about what I will and won't wear daily.
Wedding Look


Finally I love my locs.  This is the best hair decision I have made.  I would make the same choice if I had to do it again.  I am happily Nappy and would recommend this style to anyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Why The Modern-Day Woman Is Ill and/or Angry

I COME TO PROCLAIM THE GREATNESS AND BUEATY OF WOMEN AND WOMANHOOD Are you a victim of Eve Syndrome? Never heard of this before huh? There i...