Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Stacia in Toronto // Natural Hair Style Icon

This interview came straight from a site named Black Girl With Long Hair
http://blackgirllonghair.com/2012/03/stacia-in-toronto-natural-hair-style-icon/#more-43339 

I found the story to be the essense of what I want to convey in my book **I do not have permission at this time to use the interview and photo in my book, but I am requesting permission. Until I I receive an answer enjoy
*Prepared for BGLH by Meosha Tall of 1MeNaturally

Introduce yourself!
S:
My name is Stacia, pronounced “Stay see yah”. I am from the Tdot ;)…born and raised in Toronto, Canada but my parents are from Jamaica. I love my city. There is always something going on here in the Tdot. So much to learn and many opportunities. Lots of love.
I work in the Financial Industry. I seek and share knowledge :) I live a work:life balance. Both personally and at work, I love to connect great ideas and great people to the public using all kinds of activities and methods to increase awareness for acceptance and understanding through the power of collaborative action.
What is the natural hair scene like in Toronto?
S:
The Tdot is blossoming. I am seeing all kinds of locs, kinky hairstyles and afro fuzz all over town. From the time I started my loc journey 7 years ago until now the natural hair influence has been developing. (I hope it’s a trend that lasts forever)
Why did you make the decision to go natural?
S:
I have had my hair natural most of my life. I went through a relaxed period during my preteens for about 2 years then went back to natural because my hair was breaking. I hated how the perm burned my scalp and the smelly creams. I decided to chop it off, get my hair back, grow out my kinks. Then I promised never to go back. (I honestly never liked combing my hair. lol I would just wake up and go) So I loc it to keep my natural going strong and long. I started my locs at age 20 and been growing ever since.
When and how did you transition into natural hair?
S:
I went back to my natural hair at age of 15. How? I chopped off the relaxed hair, which was long down my back. Did it in front of my mirror with my moms cutting sheers. My hair was uneven, but I was soooo excited. I could see my curl pattern again and twirl it around my finger.
I made my mom start my locs. I just told her I wanted to twist my hair. She parted it and used a tail comb to do a comb twist with my hair, which is twirling my hair to the right with the comb so it forms a shape of a loc. (Hope that makes sense). Then I just left it and continued to palm roll it. My mom caught on to what I was doing when she told me I needed to comb out my hair and that it was looking a mess. I said NEVERR!…I’m loc’ing it and she laughed and thought I was crazy. lol

In what ways (if any) has going natural affected you?
S:
Doing the big chop didn’t affect me in any way. I had a lot of support. Loc’ing my hair was a different process; only my close friends supported me. I’ve learned to lead by example. I didn’t get much support from my family, but now they see my hair and my journey and they love it :) I get compliments all the time and it helped me believe I can handle any obstacle if I stay dedicated and keep positive.
How would you describe your hair?
S:
My hair texture is frizzy and curly. More like two different hair textures. In the back my curls are tighter, a bit more coarse, and at the top of my head my hair towards the front is more loose. Exactly like Free’s hair from 106nPark.
What is your regimen?
S:
I wash my hair once a week using Live Clean shampoo and conditioner and palm roll it myself. To twist my hair I use Hair Stimulator Loc n Twist Gel. For moisture I use leave in conditioner by Live Clean and coconut oil by Organix. I style my locs by doing my infamous bantu knots, which I love doing. J’adore the curl results.
Here’s my youtube link to my bantu knot process: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu_lDJGSD8o. A new style I did last summer was shaved the left side of my head using my own clippers. I touch it up weekly too.
How do you retain length and moisture in your hair?
S:
My hair just grows and it’s getting longer, but I am trimming the front part in layers to keep it lightweight. With the size of my locs it can get heavy, so I want to keep the weight off a bit. For moisture I use daily coconut oil and spritz as my leave in. Dats it, I don’t like using much products in my hair at all.
What mistakes have you made with your hair that you’ve learned from?
S:
Besides the PERM. Bleaching it. Oh lord, seeing strands breaking off and falling out made me smdh. Never again.
What’s the best/most effective thing you do for your hair?
S:
Besides bantu knots lol, I do hot oil treatments. Even hot conditioning treatments. I mix part olive oil and my Live Clean conditioner in a bowl, warm it up in the microwave for 30 seconds and pour it over my damp hair after my wash. I leave it in and go under a hood dryer for 20 minutes and rinse thoroughly. Conclusion, my hair is on N popping. Softest locs Ever!
What would you like to see in Toronto in terms of hair care?
S:
I would like to see women and mostly black women taking care of their hair period! Putting more effort into treating their tresses like jewels. It’s cool if you are rocking the weave, wigs and extensions, but for whatever reason do not neglect your own hair, especially when it’s crying out for help.
Is there a blog/webpage where we can find you?
S:
You can check me out at the following…
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/mizzstac?feature=watch
Tumblr: http://rawbeaute.tumblr.com/
Facebook: mongroup
Anything else you want to add?
S:
For those rocking them CRUDE tresses! Continue to be dazzling and shine brightly. Make it sexy. Keep it Raw. Hugz* N Kisses XOXOX XOXOX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Why The Modern-Day Woman Is Ill and/or Angry

I COME TO PROCLAIM THE GREATNESS AND BUEATY OF WOMEN AND WOMANHOOD Are you a victim of Eve Syndrome? Never heard of this before huh? There i...