Tuesday, March 8, 2022

INTERVIEW: Hyapatia Lee, author

WELCOME to WEDNESDAY WITH WOMEN


In this interview you will be taken in-depth into the writing style of a seasoned writer and author. You will gain insight into Native American culture in practice and philosophy. I found her interview profound in the way the feminine and masculine of an individual is accepted and honored and how Hyapatia Lee incorporates this concept into her writing. 

        1.    What is the name of your book/genre?

I have written 6 books so far.  The titles Include Native Strength: The First Step on the Path to an Indomitable Life, Overcoming Bullies, The Circles of Life, Star People Skinwalkers and Raven Mockers, Stories Around the Wheel of Life, and The Secret Lives of Hyapatia Lee.  The latter is an autobiography that was written before I had a proper diagnosis and was being told my problem was psychiatric in nature.  Panhypopituitarism can result from traumatic brain injury and repeated concussions.  In the early stages, it presents with various behavioral symptoms, and this is often exhibited in NFL players who may later be given a proper diagnosis. As the condition advances it becomes life-threatening for many reasons as the pituitary gland dies from front to back.  

Four of my books focus on medicine stories, Hawaiian huna, and the traditional centuries-old Native American system of mindfulness and mental health care. I have one book on the legends of various tribes regarding mysterious phenomena. 

The genre is non-fiction with most of my books being about self-help mental health and the centuries-old system of original inhabitants of North and Central America including Hawaii. I am currently working on my seventh book.

2.    When did you start your writing career?

I began writing a monthly column for a magazine in the early 1980s when I was in my twenties.  I also wrote a weekly column for five years for High Times about relationships. My first book was published in 2000. I am working on my seventh book.  

3.    Did you have support from family/friends/community?

My support was very sparse in the early years.  In the last five years, I have found tremendous support from my family.  The online community is very helpful as well.

4.    What is most difficult about an author’s life?

Many say it is self-motivation.  I have never really found that to be a problem.  Personally, I am challenged with many rare and difficult health issues and that has been my largest stumbling block. Not being distracted by movies and TV has saved me a lot of time I have put to use in my writing career.

5.    As a woman do you feel an obligation to write on women’s issues (in some form)?

When it comes to mental illness, the sexes are different: Women are more likely to be diagnosed with anxiety or depression, while men tend toward substance abuse or antisocial disorders, according to a new study published by the American Psychological Association. I try to address both these issues equally as they can affect anyone, regardless of sex. I have also experienced a need for mental health care personally as well as with my second son.

One of the reasons I have found so much wisdom and comfort in exploring my Native American roots is the acceptance of both men and women as equal and valuable. Furthermore, the Native Strength system based on tribal traditions and medicine stories honors two-spirited (LGBTQ) people. They are consulted on all important issues.  Clan mothers, medicine and holy men and women, tribal elders, and the two-spirited people are always present when deciding to break camp, go to war, or when other important issues are debated.  Medicine stories demonstrate the importance of recognizing both male and female sides of ourselves.  This is often done by speaking of the main character in the story as a man, and then switching to speaking of them as a woman and back and forth many times. This establishes the importance of honoring both parts of the persona as equal.

6.    Do you create stereotypical female characters i.e., weak, need to be saved?

As I don’t write fiction, this is not an issue.  I also have a TV program based on the information in my books that is seen in 47 different cities across the US, in which I live. As the editor, I am sure to choose clips that represent women of all races in strong roles, experiencing anger, power struggles, expectations, sadness, substance abuse, and depression, the full gamut of human experience, just as I do for men of all races.  If a particular dialogue would tend to illicit the feeling I am speaking of a woman’s issue, I make sure to show men in that scenario on camera, and vice-versa.

7.    Do you try to be politically correct or stay away from politics/controversial current event as plots?

There are times, such as in recent years, that I have found this to be unavoidable.  Certain unnamed politicians exhibit behaviors, for example, that demonstrate precisely a particular medicine wheel. Some medicine wheels show us behaviors to avoid.  Without naming them, I believe it will be apparent to anyone with an honest knowledge of current events.  I try to avoid using a particular likeness, but it is almost transparent when the behavior may describe a person in such a way it is obvious whom I am describing.

I don't choose to discuss teachings based on current events, but the similarities may be uncanny. 

8.    What makes a woman a success?

In my humble opinion, a woman, or man, is a success when they are self-reliant, for the most part, emotionally.  Of course, we all have times we need a friend.  Another ear to gain a different perspective is always positive. The goal is not TO be a “needy, wounded, child” on the circle of foxes.  We don't want to rely on the approval of others for our self-esteem. We have no need to be told we are doing a good job to know they have done our best and we can be proud of our work. They don’t run to others for approval.  If no one is looking, they can be trusted to do the right thing. They soothe others in crisis and help them find their own path.  They don’t judge or disparage others to build themselves up and prove to observers they are worthy of approval.  They practice maximum efficiency with minimal effort and adapt quickly to new situations. They are willing to learn from others with an open mind, without self-made rules, and armed with an understanding of logical consequences, as well as universal karma, they go through life as a warrior. This means they are more of a caretaker than a person always seeking help and advice. They realize anything worth keeping must be properly maintained on a regular basis, and this includes relationships. They have remembered the plan their soul made for this life and by walking this path, they are surrounded by the love and blessings of the Creator. 

Naturally, they still run into roadblocks now and then, little stones they may stumble across on their path. But quite often they are prepared as their focus has allowed them to foresee situations that may only occur on occasion. They proactively plan for these events. By paying close attention to the world in which they live, very little tends to take them by surprise.   

People can find out more about my books on Amazon.  https://www.amazon.com/Hyapatia-Lee/e/B004XE7SXG%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt

I have six courses available on Udemy https://www.udemy.com/user/hyapatia-lee-2/

My YouTube channel has several playlists, including the Native Strength full episodes, Native Strength shorts (featuring brief and easily digested explanations of key points), Medicine Stories (where one can hear the medicine stories and their explanations), and more.  https://youtube.com/c/HyapatiaLeeNativeAmerican

I have apparel in all sizes, as well as many other useful items available from my shop and I invite you to take a look.  nativestrength.threadless.com/

Thank you very much for this opportunity!  Your questions were a wonderful way to explain my work.

I live in Colorado, USA.

YOU CAN BE THE NEXT FEATURED WEDNESDAY WOMAN. CONTACT ME TO PARTICIPATE. SUPPORT WOMEN THAT HAVE BEEN INTERVIEWED, LEAVE COMMENTS, QUESTIONS, AND SHARE WITH FRIENDS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Why The Modern-Day Woman Is Ill and/or Angry

I COME TO PROCLAIM THE GREATNESS AND BUEATY OF WOMEN AND WOMANHOOD Are you a victim of Eve Syndrome? Never heard of this before huh? There i...