Friday, September 5, 2014

The Young Will Be Heard Also

Thank you for giving me permission to use your photo in my dreadlock project Ineedmauiwowie

Sennia a 20 year old photographer from Chicago, IL.

I've had locs since Nov 2013. I decided to get dreads when I was 18 but took them down and decided to do them again later on but free form. I don't go to the shop and I'm the only one that takes care of my hair. After wearing protective styles for a while I knew that I didn't want to get perms anymore and that having my natural hair was the best decision I've made for my hair.

Until then I've always had perms and my hair never grew as much till I stopped relaxing it. I wanted to wear an afro, which
I did for a couple of weeks but I didn't like all the maintenance since I have 4c hair. After doing research about my hair I learned that 4c hair makes greats locs. The second time around (Nov '13) there was no perm in my hair so it loc'd pretty quickly within 3 months.

Growing locs has made me appreciate my hair texture because growing up it was considered "too nappy". Others around me that don't know me ask things like "what's wrong with your hair?" "why don't you get it retwisted?" "why don't you just go to the shop?, they'll make it longer", or get stared at. Some people love it and some people don't understand it.

Growing locs has made me stronger to brush off others opinions that don't matter and to continue to do what makes me happy. And now I LOVE dreadlocks. And a person that waits and goes through the struggle phase of locs is a person that deserves locs. I was really insecure about my locs at one point, but to one starting off locs, you can do it, time will fly and it doesn't look as bad as you think :) - Sennia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Why The Modern-Day Woman Is Ill and/or Angry

I COME TO PROCLAIM THE GREATNESS AND BUEATY OF WOMEN AND WOMANHOOD Are you a victim of Eve Syndrome? Never heard of this before huh? There i...